On December 7, 2020, Los Angeles County swore in District Attorney George Gascón as its 43rd District Attorney. DA Gascón pledged in his acceptance speech to institute new and progressive policies unseen in the criminal justice system in this country.
What are George Gascón’s new policies?
In his speech, Gascón mentioned several new policies that he intends to roll out in the coming months and years.
- Prosecution of police officers for excessive force cases previously rejected for prosecution by previous District Attorney Jackie Lacey.
- The end of the use of the Gang Enhancement.
- The end of the use of the “Three Strikes” Law.
- The end of cash bail by January 1, 2021.
- The “drastic increase” in use of diversion to benefit those facing the stain of a criminal conviction.
- The end of the transfer of juveniles to adult court for prosecution.
This is just a short list of the upcoming changes which should be published soon. To see if any of these new policies apply to you are a loved ones case, contact our office today.